No doubt we've all have been going stir-crazy. It's a struggle to even find a place to surf since most of Southern California's public beaches are shut down. Some surfers are even ticketed for going out in certain lineups. Seems that the best way to deal with these unfortunate circumstances is to pick up some new hobbies and activities to keep sane.Here are a few ways to get your kicks during quarantine...
1. FIX YOUR DINGS / CLEAN UP YOUR QUIVER (because we got all the time in the world and the garage could use a clean up too)
2. START A GARDEN IN YOUR BACKYARD (mixed greens, herbs, spices, tomatoes, chili peppers... you can really go wild and its very sustainable)
3. CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR / FIX UP THE VAN (just think of how dialed in your ride could be by summer time)
4. WATCH A SURF FLICK (this might actually be bittersweet if you're having severe surf withdrawals)
5. PLAN YOUR NEXT SURF TRIP (you can't stop us from dreaming... won't be pulling out our passports anytime soon)
6. FACETIME THE CREW FOR HAPPY HOUR (which at this point could be any time of day)
7. MAKE A SCRAPBOOK WITH OLD PHOTOS (developed film from a surf trip or just some classics from back in the day)
GET STRONGER WITH A HOME WORKOUT
come out of isolation stronger than when you went in it, or at least to just offset the 13,000 calories a day we're all eating
PAINT, DRAW, COLLAGE OR GET CRAFTY
pull out the acyrlic paint, the dyes, the glue gun, the scissors... whatever you might have at home
COOK SOMETHING FROM SCRATCH
make a gourmet meal for yourself or treat your quarantine mates
LEARN A NEW SONG / LEARN AN INSTRUMENT
I'm going to pull out my keyboard after all these years because why not!
TAKE A DRIVE DOWN PCH WITH A GOOD PLAYLIST
the playlist is key here, something about driving around in the middle of a pandemic really soothes the soul
LEARN SOME MORE SPANISH
for the next Baja or Mainland trip
START A GOOD BOOK
lay out in the sunshine with a good book & a cold beer, you'll almost feel like you're at the beach again
ORDER DELIVERY OR PICK-UP FROM A LOCAL RESTAURANT
shout to John's Fish Market and TJ's Pizza! Treating yourself while also supporting local business, win-win
MAKE A DONATION PILE
there's probably a lot you might want to get rid of at home/in the garage. Set it aside for when it can be donated
BE YOUR OWN BARTENDER
make a snazy cocktail in the comfort of your own kitchen, I'm thinking Palomas with fresh-squeezed grapefruit later tonight
TAP INTO YOUR CREATIVE SIDE
whatever that might be! Just learning a new skill will definitely lift your mood
We can get through this bizarre chapter and even benefit from taking time to re-evaluate and focus on our passions. It's a challenge to be denied access to the breaks we love, but just imagine when we can finally paddle out again. Stay safe & stay positive out there people!
If you like to draw here are some blank drawings free to use!